Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chi-Chi-Chi Chia Brownies

Delicious Chia Brownie
Chia seeds are popular today and being showcased as a superfood. It comes from a plant called Salvia hispanica and is found in southern Mexico. I first really was intrigued about it when I read Born to Run, which is about a tribe of Mexicans called the Tarahumara who run for hundreds of miles without rest or injury. It also started the craze for those silly looking five finger shoe (some people swear by them, but they do look silly). In it, one of the reasons the Tarahumara are so atheltetic is because of the iskiate they drink.
The Aztecs were said to use iskiate like drinks to sooth sore joints and stimulate saliva flow. They believed a small amount of chia seed could sustain you for 24 hours. It does fill you up, because as it gets wet it turns from something the size and consistency of course ground pepper to the something the size and consistency of bubble tea bobas. They form their gel in your stomach, which helps keep you full.

They are also nutrient packed. These seeds have more omega-3 than flax, and they have antioxidants to boot.They provide fiber, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, niacin and more. They are 23% protein by weight. They also don't go rancid like flax and don't need to be ground to be absorbed.

I made myself some iskiate after I read the book. You just put about 1 tablespoon of chia seeds (they are the exact same things you probably slathered on a chia pet at some point in time) and flavor it (the Tarahumara use lime or lemon) and let it set for about five minutes, at least. It turns into a gooey gelatinous substance. Like thick water. I used a fruit punch mix to flavor mine.

This is my tropical punch iskiate.
I have a problem with textures. I didn't like iskiate at all. I grabbed my bottle and went for a run...and ended up gagging on the stuff. Yuck. I did find some uses for chia seeds that I didn't totally hate. I made my favorite overnight oat recipe. Oats are supposed to be a bit thick, right? I added a tablespoon of chia and let it set overnight. Those were gooey in a wonderful way. I made my favorite chocolate pudding recipe and added some chia seeds. That was also gooey in a wonderful way.

Chia pudding: better eat it before it sprouts (or not, chia sprouts are good too).

You an also grind them or add them whole to salads, in cereals and even add them to baked goods. I find in baked goods, they give an extra nutty crunch, so if your baked good would taste good with a nutty flavor, add a little chia and see what happens.

I added 1/2 cup to my favorite brownie recipe and it was delicious.

Chia Brownies (From Alton Brown's brownie recipe)
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup of sugar (make this lighter with 1 tablespoon of sugar and 3 bananas...it works)
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 8 ounces of melted butter
  • 1 and 1/4 cups of cocoa
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 2 tablespoons of vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. Butter and flour your brownie pan.
  3. In a mixer, beat the eggs until fluffy and light yellow. And the sugar (bananas too). Add remaining ingredients and mix.
  4. Pour batter into pan. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until edges are brown.

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving (makes 16)

Calories: 195
Total fat: 6.75 g
Protein: 3.6 g
Total carbohydrate: 39 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 8.4 g
  • Sugar: 30.9 g

With banana instead of sugar, it's 172 calories, 6.75 grms of fat, 31.2 grams of carbohydrate, 8.85 fiber, 21 grams sugar and 3.75 grams of protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment