Thursday, August 4, 2011

About me

I remember one of my first days at work. We were having lunch catered and the person placing the order was having trouble figuring out what to do with the new pharmacist, who happened to be a vegetarian. Where I come from, the heart of the southern delta, that's virtually unheard of. She settled on pizza, because it seemed safe after she determined I was not a vegan.

"So, what kind of vegetables do you like on your pizza?" she asked.

I glanced and replied sheepishly, "Well, I don't really like vegetables. Just cheese is fine."

One of my coworkers picked up on it and said, "Wait, you don't like vegetables? You're a vegetarian! What kind of vegetarian doesn't like vegetables?"

The unhealthy kind. I shrugged and said I liked some vegetables, though broccoli is the only one that came to mind. He persisted.

"What do you eat?"

"Mostly pasta. I like tomatoes. Rice is ok. I like stir-fry sometimes. Do potatoes count?"

It was true. I was a carb addict. If it wasn't starchy or coverend in chocolate, I wouldn't eat it. My vegetarism wasn't for health or ethics, it was because I didn't like the taste or texture of meat. I was a nutrirional pariah and I knew it.

I knew it because I devour nutrition science with the same fervour that most devour ice cream. I have always been interested in cardiology.  Heart disease and nutrition go hand in hand. I can quote studies, RDAs and lab values and even help patients make healthy choices, but I rarely make them myself.

I also love food...well, some food. I love the science and chemistry behind baking.  I love cooking eleborate meals. I live for the holidays where I can make pretty much anything I want and not worry about having to eat it all.  I don't like to eat most of it anyway. I watch Food Network in my spare time. I love cooking food.

So, what's a girl who loves to cook but hates to eat to do? Recently, I saw an episode of some reality chef show (Next Food Network Star or Master Chef.  I can't remember) where they suggested that you have to try everything you think you hate prepared in different ways before you can be sure you hate it. I've never read it, but I think Jeffrey Steingarten's "The Man Who Ate Everything" is the same concept.

I've been doing that a bit recently, trying healthy options and journaling about it. My mom is a vegetarian and has gone "low carb." I've been trying to cook for her, but my repertoire of freshly made pasta and baked goods doesn't cut it.  I need to try new things.  Journaling is the best way to repeat what I like and avoid what I don't (which is everything healthy, apparently).  I thought that I would share some of my journals and maybe some of my reactions to the latest food news and research.

I can't promise that my travels will always be vegetarian or always be healthy, but it will mostly be vegetarian and mostly be healthy...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment