Monday, August 22, 2011

Low Carb Peach Salsa

Salsa is a sneaky way to get some vegetables in your diet.
In my last post, I talked about growing okra.  Another vegetable I grow in abundance over the summer is tomatoes.  Salsa is dish that I like to make with them, because it's healthy, easily canned and helps punch up a low-carb diet.  I don't normally eat it with chips.  Most of the time I use it as a salad dressing, a topping or an ingredient.

Peach salsa makes a great, low-carb salad dressing.  If you leave out the peach, you'll have a really low carb salsa (3.7 grams per serving).   I use my Vita-mix to make salsa.  You can use a food processor or just chop the ingredients super fine.

This salsa has all sorts of fun colors and textures.

For 6 servings:
Optional:
  • If you don't like basil, you can use cilantro
Just toss all of the ingredients in your blender or food processor and process to the chunkiness you desire.  If you don't have a blender or food processor, just chop all the ingredients to a fine consistency and mix them.

Before blending
Salsas taste best if you leave them in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.

Nutrition Facts


Amount Per Serving (makes 6)

Calories:  21.7
Total fat: 0.1 g
Protein: 0.3 g
Total carbohydrate:  5.3 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
  • Sugar: 1.8 g

No comments:

Post a Comment